- Create a rich experience in the classroom that provides a solid foundation for independent learning.
- Develop positive relationships with students to build respectful and responsible young people.
- Foster a safe environment so that all of our students can learn and grow in a positive atmosphere.
- Build a community between home and school.
The Catharine School vision is to prepare our students to be respectful, responsible students ready to succeed in school and progress to higher levels of academic excellence.
- Born: June 3rd, 1857 at sea, going from New York to Liverpool aboard the clipper ship, Carrier Dove.
- Name of Father: – Joseph William Catharine
- Name of Mother: – Mary Ellen McCarthy
- Education: – By private tutors, Philadelphia Public Schools, and Central High School – 68th Class.
- Profession: – Lawyer – President Board of Education
- Political Affiliation: – Republican
He became a member of the 30th Ward School Board in 1887. Served as President of the 30th Ward School Board. Admitted to the Philadelphia Bar in 1889. Became Assistant City Solicitor in January of 1893. Served in that capacity for 18 years. In 1933, he became President of the Board of Education until his death in 1936.